As a kid growing up in Scotland, I can remember both the movie “The Colditz Story,” and the television series simply called “Colditz.” Both were dramatic representations of what actually occurred to Allied Prisoners of War during World War 2. My impression was that the survivors of Colditz were national heroes and great escapers, so when I began reading David Lascelles’ book “Out of Colditz” I was intrigued by what happened to his father during the last year of World War.
I had never heard of the group of men called ‘The Prominente’
who were kept in isolation from the other prisoners because of their
connections to the Royal family and European political leaders. It was interesting
to note that they were largely being used as pawns to possibly negotiate surrender
deals with the victorious Allied Forces.
Lascelles personal experiences with the German Commandant’s
family as he researched material for his book were also fascinating. He gave us
‘the rest of the story,’ especially when he described several events which the
Colditz Commandant used to gain some credible defense of not following Hitler’s
orders to kill his prominent prisoners.
The book is well written and provides an ample history of
some of the last days of the Second World War in Europe and the subsequent war-criminal
trials. I would recommend it to anyone who is really interested in the Allied
prisoners and the defeat of Germany in World War 2.
The book will be published by St. Martin’s Press in January
2027

No comments:
Post a Comment