Midweek Message: O When the Saints
Psalm 30:4 Sing to the LORD, you saints; praise God’s holy name.
One of the first songs I learned on the guitar was "O When the Saints." It's easy to play because it only has three chords, so when you're a beginner, it makes you feel good playing, strumming, and singing a whole song. I spent many nights in my bedroom as a teenager singing it at the top of my voice until my parents or siblings told me to keep quiet.
When I first played it, I didn't really know what I was singing about, after all, as far I was concerned, saints were very holy people who had died long, long ago. It was only years later when I was studying the scriptures at seminary that I learned 'saints' can be ordinary people, alive and well, who practice and proclaim their faith through acts of mercy and kindness, devotion and love.
As followers of Christ, we all have the potential each day to be saintly. People will cross our paths that need our help, support, and encouragement. If we express Christ's love to them through acts of compassion, care, and concern, we'll be doing saintly deeds. It won't make us any holier, more sacred, or even spiritually superior, but it will help change for the better other people's lives, as well as our own. And after all is said and done, wouldn’t we rather be a saint walking through this world and doing what we can to make it a better and kinder place, than believing saints to only be holy people from the past?
Point to ponder: What can I do today to help other people and spread God’s love?
Prayer: Lord Jesus, You call us to be disciples and saints, to follow Your ways and fulfill Your words through acts of compassion, kindness, and care. Enable us to take the opportunities to serve You in a saintly way by helping, supporting, and encouraging others around us. In Your Holy Name, we pray. Amen.
God
bless you all.
Pastor
John

No comments:
Post a Comment