Tuesday, May 02, 2023

Short Devotion: Treating Ourselves - Psalm 103v10

 

Psalm 103:10 God does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. (NIV)

I’ve been thinking and reading a lot about forgiveness recently. I guess the older you get, you realize how many mistakes, foolish choices, and careless words you’ve committed and end up regretting ill-chosen paths, deeds, or conversations. I know that Christ forgives me, but I honestly struggle with forgiving myself. I can’t seem to let go of the past, so I carry it with me and end up with more than a few sleepless nights.

I don’t want to become a victim of my past mistakes or be held hostage by my stupidity, but nor do I want to be continually wishing things were different or reflecting where I would be if I followed another path. I want to live with what’s left of my life without being under a shadow of gloom and despondency. I want to enjoy whatever is in front of me without constantly living backwards. I guess I want to follow C.S Lewis’s advice of running onwards and upwards as I prepare to meet Christ face-to-face.

I think that the writer of Psalm 103 experienced something similar, especially when he wrote these amazing words: “God does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities.” Those words give me hope and release me from being vexed about my sins. Through Christ, I am totally forgiven, so there is a lot of room to forgive myself.

Perhaps you’re going through something similar and maybe you’re feeling the same things. I hope that you will also realize that God’s grace is greater than anything you’ve foolishly done, and that Christ’s love is larger than any regret you still hold.

Point to ponder: What do I need to let go from the past, so I can move forward with God into the future?

Prayer: Lord Jesus, You know everything, so there’s nothing we can hide from You. You could punish us with that knowledge, but instead, You save us from our worst selves. Thank You for Your complete compassion and godly grace. In Your Holy name, we humbly and gratefully pray. Amen.


John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. To see what’s currently happening at the church, just click on this link: www.erinpres.org.


Today’s image is one of John’s latest Pentecost drawings called “Espiritu.” If you would like to view a larger version, please click on this link: Espiritu.

No comments: