Monday, January 16, 2023

Short devotion: Setting Me Aside - Psalm 34:4

 

Psalm 34:4 I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. (NIV)

We live in anxious times and I suspect that many of us, including me, are just glad to get through each day. There’s so much uncertainty in the world and it’s affecting each one of us. We don’t know what lies ahead and, after three years of instability, we may wonder if things will ever change for the better. It’s been a tough time to endure and we’re weary, even in Churchworld.

When I came across today’s verse in my daily readings, it reminded me to seek God in order to cope with my fears. Far too often, when I’m faced with difficulties, I offer up a rocket flare of a prayer to God, asking for strength to sustain me, as well as a timely solution to my problem. It’s not an ideal way to build any solid relationship with God, for it causes me to treat Him as my personal spiritual paramedic and individual issue solver. In other words, I’m only using God for special emergencies.

Seeking God, on the other hand, takes time. It requires me to stop what I’m doing in order to have a deep conversation with God. I get so used to rushing my prayers that I forget Whom I’m actually addressing. However, when I intentionally set aside my busyness or anxiety, and patiently explain to God what I feel or fear, I humbly listen for His counsel, wisdom, and teaching. Because I focus on God and not me, my fears subside and my anxieties diminish.

I think this is why Jesus invites all of us to come to Him when we’re weary or burdened. It takes time, as well as personal intent, to respond to such an invitation. Christ means us to use it as a relationship-builder with Him, and not as a problem solver for us. He wants us to seek the Lord, be given His answer, and then be delivered from all our fears.

Point to ponder: What is currently making me most anxious? Am I willing to seek the Lord and take time to talk to Him about it?

Prayer: Lord Jesus, You know us so well and are fully aware of what is presently troubling us. You’re waiting for us to set aside time to let You know how we feel, so that You can embrace us in the midst of our fears, hearken to our issues, and offer Your counsel. Teach us to pray again and to trust You completely. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. You can see what’s happening at the church by viewing its website at www.erinpres.org.

Today’s image is one of John’s latest winter drawings called “Snow Moon.” You can view a larger version at this link: Snow Moon.

No comments: