Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Encouragement Devotion: Everlasting Blessings - Luke 20:36


Luke 20:36     “And they can no longer die; for they are like the angels. They are God's children, since they are children of the resurrection.”

I love verses like this from the Bible because they offer an everlasting hope of blessings yet to come. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not wishing for death – life is beautiful – but at the end of all this beauty and wonder, it’s comforting to know that there is something more wonderful yet to be experienced. This is why I am a Christian, and this is why I believe that Christianity offers the best hope of our earthly lives.

To be like an angel and a child of the resurrection is a precious gift that only Jesus can bring. When He spoke to the Sadducees, who did not believe in life beyond death, He did not condemn them for their beliefs. Instead, Jesus attempted to enlighten them in a charming and attractive way. He told them that all are alive to God, even those who are dead, because we all have eternal souls. I recently read a wonderful statement about this: “We are not human beings seeking an everlasting spiritual experience; we are eternal spiritual beings having a human experience.”

As a Christian, I want all of my family and friends, my neighbors and colleagues to live in the eternal blessings of God’s loving presence, so I have to try to share my faith with them. And I am certain that you want those blessings for your loved ones as well. The great news is this: Jesus can show us how to do that in a charming, attractive, and effective way.

Questions for personal reflection

Whom do I dearly love in this earthly life? Have I lovingly shared my Christian faith with them?

Prayer:            Lord Jesus, they are people in our lives whom we dearly love and yet they do not truly know You. Help us to share our faith with them in loving and charming ways, so that they may be drawn closer to You and receive Your Gospel in their hearts. In Your Holy Name, we pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment about today’s message, please send him an email to Traqair@aol.com.

Today’s image is John’s latest nativity drawing called “Star Song.” Every year, John draws unique nativity scenes which are used by many Christian groups and churches all across the world. If you would like to view a larger version, please click on the following link: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8328/8075856657_2c44d4c75a_b.jpg

No comments: