Thursday, January 12, 2012

Scottish Devotions - Jenny Graham - Isaiah 40:31

Isaiah 40:31 But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Next to my wife Evelyn, Jenny Graham was the fastest walker I have ever seen in my life. When I ministered in Scotland, Jenny could be seen most days cantering down the Maybole High Street as she headed to the stores for groceries, the post office for stamps, or the bank for money. She was always hurrying to get her messages done and nobody could keep up with her. Walking alongside Jenny was not an option and everybody smiled a good morning or good afternoon to her as she trotted past them. When I knew her at first, she was in her sixties, but she continued rocketing along the High Street well into her nineties.

Jenny was a remarkable lady, an amazing pianist, gifted piano teacher, and a wonderful church organist. Music was a great gift to her from God and she used her talents to bless the townsfolk in Maybole for generations. Everybody kent (knew) who Jenny was and her long life was spent passing on the gift of her faith through music. When I was pastor at the Glenkirk in Maybole, Jenny was immensely helpful to me, especially in the putting together of worship services. I appreciated her skills, her stories of past ministers, her great friendship, and total commitment to the church. Much of what I accomplished in the congregation had a lot to do with Jenny’s support.

Jenny passed away on New Year’s Eve and her funeral service took place today. Many people would have been in attendance from all over the town and from all of the churches. It must have been strange, though, not having Jenny playing the music.

From now on, when I read or hear today’s verse, I’ll remember Jenny. The part about ‘they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint’ just sums her up completely to me. She had an amazing life with wonderful skills, and many people like me feel blessed to have known her. I’m also left with a wonderful image in my head of Jenny at the Pearly Gates cantering through them with St Peter behind her trying to catch up!

Prayer:                        Lord Jesus, thank You for the many wonderful people that Your Church brings into our lives. Thank You for their dedication and commitment, service and faith. They inspire each generation to do something more beautiful for You. In Your Holy Name, we cheerfully pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment on today’s message, please send him an email to pastor@erinpresbyterian.org.

Today’s image is my drawing of the Glenkirk in Maybole under a Scottish moonlight. If you would like to view a larger version, please click on the following link: http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4071/4317958402_fe0f23d3cd_b.jpg

No comments: