Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas Devotions: The Greatest Gift - Isaiah 33:22

Isaiah 33:22    For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; it is He who will save us. 

It’s almost Christmas and there’s still a lot to be done. Every year I promise that I won’t let the pressure get to me and that I’ll be properly prepared for the festivities. Then I head into the last week before the main event and Christmas comes puffing at me like the Polar Express, and I realize I’ve still got tons to do. Phew!

Somehow I’ll manage by Friday or Saturday to get everything in order and then spend Christmas Day with those I dearly love. At some point, I’ll quietly remember the Savior at the Center of the Celebrations and give thanks to Him prayerfully for being the Chosen One of God. Without Jesus in my life, I would have nothing. Decades ago, He set me on a path from self-destruction to soul construction. I owe Christ everything – my wife, my children, my career, my resources, and my skills. If He hadn’t turned my life around, I would have no blessings today. Christ is my King and He is the One who saved me.

Perhaps you feel the same way. Perhaps you need Jesus in your life right now. Perhaps you’re seeking His mercy and grace, love and support, guidance and embrace. The Good News is that Christ can give you those things even now. Just ask Him.

Prayer:                        Lord Jesus, thank You for coming into the world, to sacrifice Yourself for our sins and to restore us to God. We praise You for this mightiest of miracles and the most precious of promises. Be near to us and our loved ones this Christmas. In Your Holy Name, we pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment on today’s message, please send him an email to pastor@erinpresbyterian.org.

Today’s image is John’s latest drawing. It’s called “Winter Delight” and it features a red barn in the snow under the light of a silvery moon. You can view a larger image here: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7031/6526263977_c32054cc83_b.jpg

All of John’s drawings can also be viewed online at his website gallery at www.stushieart.com.

No comments: