Thursday, November 10, 2011

Remembrance Day Poem - The Cost of a Poppy


















The Cost of a Poppy

“How much does a poppy cost?”
I innocently asked my Dad.
I wanted one,
In much the same way
That I desired a piece of toffee
Or a licorice stick,
Or a square of chocolate.

I was too young
To know the price
And sacred value
Of a precious poppy.

I greedily wanted one,
To wear it like a sheriff’s badge
And show it off with childish pride.
I had no idea
Of what war was,
Or how it painfully wrecked
The love and lives
Of young men and women.
All I knew then
Was that a lady
Was selling poppies
In the street
To all who passed.

I stamped my foot
And raised my voice.
“I want a poppy!
How much does it cost?”
I tearfully raged
At my embarrassed Dad.

Then the Lady smiled
And graciously bent down,
Pinning a poppy,
Like a medal
To my chest.

She wiped away
My furious tears
And quietly said,
“How much does
A Poppy cost?
A life is given,
But never lost.”


©John Stuart
For 11-11-11

No comments: