Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Advent Christmas devotions: My Best Friend - Matthew 11:19

Today’s Bible readings are Isaiah 27:1-5 and Matthew 11:16-24

Matthew 11:19            “The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and “sinners.” ‘ But wisdom is proved right by her actions.”

My name is John Stuart and I’m a sinner. I also have a wonderful friend called Jesus who wants to change my life and help me follow a path that will lead me to God’s Eternal Kingdom.

I struggle with sin, but Jesus remains my friend.
I get lost in life sometimes, but Jesus is still my Guide.
I worry about the future, but Jesus knows the way ahead.
I regret my past mistakes, but Jesus has forgiven me.
I feel helpless at times, but Jesus is my strength.

I guess that you’re a sinner too; why else would you need to read a devotional? Guess what? Jesus is also Your Friend, Guide, Comforter, Savior, and Strength.

Being a Christian is the best gift in life that God has to offer. Bringing someone else to Christ is the best way that we can thank Him. This Christmas, let’s invite someone to church to meet Jesus.

Prayer:                        Lord Jesus, thank You for being our Friend. Because of our many sins, we don’t deserve such a blessing. You were sent into the world to reconcile everything to God through Your Holy, Sacred and Supreme Sacrifice. Thank You, Jesus, for doing that for us. Thank You for being here in our lives. In Your Holy Name, we gratefully pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment on today’s message, please send him an email to pastor@erinpresbyterian.org. John loves to read your comments.

Today’s image is one of John’s latest Nativity drawings. It’s called “Child of Peace.” If you would like to view a larger version, please click on the following link: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6060/6419950643_3d838119c0_b.jpg

No comments: