Friday, March 26, 2010

Holy Week Devotions: Two Weeks Behind - Psalm 25 v 15

Psalm 25:15 My eyes are ever on the LORD, for only he will release my feet from the snare.

The past fourteen days have been a blur to me. I’ve been in pain with tendonitis in my ankle and just when I was getting over it, I got hit with a double whammy of a cold. Easter is just one week away and I feel as though I’m two weeks behind everyone else. I’ve a lot of catching up to do.

This illness has also reminded me that I’m not invincible and that my energy is not inexhaustible. It’s made me depend more on the Lord and His people. It’s made me realize that I’m just as human as everyone else.

Sometimes we all go through times of trial and trouble and rely upon our own resources, energy, and determination to enable us to overcome. It’s only when we can’t handle things or lose our patience that we turn to the Lord. Instead of initially letting God get involved, we sometimes bring Him in reluctantly to clean up our mess or take over the situation. If only we would learn that God is ready, willing, and able to stand beside us and walk us through our distress, we would save a lot of hurt and disappointment, confusion and mistakes.

As we approach Holy Week, let’s try to let go of ourselves and let Christ lead us. Let’s allow the sacredness of this week seep into our souls and influence our attitudes. Let’s keep our eyes on the Lord and be confident that He has the power to release us from our worries, concerns, and fears.

Prayer:                        Lord Jesus, help us to focus our hearts and minds upon Your Passion in this coming week. Remind us of Your pain and sacrifice, Your courage and determination, Your power to forgive and restore. Grant us Your peace in the midst of our problems. In Your Holy Name, we pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment on today’s message, please send him an email to pastor@erinpresbyterian.org.

Today’s image is John’s latest drawing called Japanese Garden. You can see a larger version of it online here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/traqair57/4464086688/sizes/l/

No comments: