Sunday, August 30, 2009

Ted Kennedy's Letter to the Pope

I’ve just been reading Ted Kennedy’s letter to the Pope and it has caused me to ask some questions.

Firstly, when President Obama acted as courier of the letter, was he in fact going against the Constitution? Our government and its leaders are not supposed to sanction any establishment of religion, but wasn’t the President doing just that when he gave the Pope the letter? Maybe, or maybe not, but the question is in my mind.

Secondly, I find this part of the letter intriguing:-

"I also want you to know that even though I am ill, I am committed to do everything I can to achieve access to health care for everyone in my country. This has been the political cause of my life. I believe in a conscience protection for Catholics in the health field, and I'll continue to advocate for it as my colleagues in the Senate and I work to develop an overall national health policy that guarantees health care for everyone.

Was Ted Kennedy letting the Pope know that he believed in abortion and that Catholic politicians who believe this way should be protected from excommunication in the Church? Or was he stating a belief that doctors and nurses and medical people who oppose abortion should have the protection of government and allowed to be conscientious objectors? Fascinating.

I’ll say this about Ted Kennedy, he’s still managing to interfere and influence the political/religious debate from beyond the grave.

The image is taken from Stushietoons - from October 2007 when Ted Kennedy was wondering who to endorse in the Presidential campaign

No comments: