Friday, June 06, 2008

4 Minute Devotions: The Secret of Success

An attitude of gratitude, especially towards God, paves the way for us to be more confident about what we do, and can lead us to success.

Podcast Version here

I’ve tried hard to overcome this failing of mine, but I can’t abide ungrateful people. I guess it’s because I grew up with so little that I feel the need to thank God for everything each day. When I see people in trouble, experiencing illness, or going through a crisis, they usually want God’s help. They turn to Him and the Church for guidance, counsel, support, and wisdom. After the crisis has been averted, most people are very thankful to God and keep on worshipping Him. They remember His kindness and use their experiences to help other people in similar circumstances.

Sadly, throughout my twenty five years in ministry, I have come across a handful of people who don’t change. I’ve seen God do mighty things in their lives and even what I would call miracles, but it didn’t change their character, their pride, or their ungrateful ways. And that just frosts and frustrates me. I guess it’s what Jesus calls ‘casting pearls before pigs.’ They just take the goodness and kindness from their blessings, and end up trampling the beauty of God’s gifts in the mud.

2 Chronicles32:25 But Hezekiah's heart was proud and he did not respond to the kindness shown him; therefore the LORD's wrath was on him and on Judah and Jerusalem.

Hezekiah was a great king. In fact, he is one of my favorite characters from the whole Bible. But he also had some pride issues, which had to be dealt with and overcome. I am so glad that he managed to deal with his ingratitude and turned things around so that, as the Bible states, ‘He succeeded in everything he undertook.’ His new attitude of gratitude gave him a creed to succeed.

The lesson for all of us today is this: have we taken God’s goodness for granted and turned away from His blessings? Have we forgotten how to thank Him for His loving kindness, even for the kindness of granting us another day?

Prayer: Lord God, You have intervened in each of our lives and there have been many moments when we have called upon You for help. You have remained faithful to us; we are sorry if we have failed to do the same. Enable us to clearly see how much You have blessed, transformed, and even saved our lives. May we never take those blessings for granted, and may we always worship You. In Christ’s Name, we pray. Amen.

No comments: