Thursday, January 17, 2008

Daily Devotions: Digital Faith

First, let me apologize for the last couple of days. I have been so busy setting up the new Coffee Club weekly studies that I have neglected to write these devotionals. I’d forgotten how much planning and preparation goes into initiating a new group, but it has been highly enjoyable and worthwhile. If you want to see how the study is progressing, you can visit the Erin Coffee Club blogsite at www.erincoffeeclub.blogspot.com .

Isaiah 48:6 You have heard these things; look at them all. Will you not admit them? "From now on I will tell you of new things, of hidden things unknown to you.

Podcast version here

Earlier today, I was reading a religious news items about a publishing company in Britain that is now producing digital hymnbooks. These can be downloaded onto I-pods, I-phones and Blackberries, giving church members the opportunity to bring them to worship on Sundays. Instead of telling people to turn off their cell-phones, pastors in the future may ask their congregants to turn them on. An Order of service can be downloaded and all of the music is produced digitally. There will be no need for traditional hymnbooks or musical instruments – the downloaded programs will produce what sounds are necessary.

Hmmm, sounds like worship from hell to me. It may be appropriate for soul-less robots to clinically digitalize hymn singing and accompaniment, but I prefer the human approach to worship. I love to hear the blend of voices and the soar of the organ in a worship service. Each singer sings from their hearts; each worshipper gives to God, and each organist that I have ever known expresses their love of God and Christian faith through the talents that He has given them. Replacing it all with digitalized hymnbooks would only alienate the worshiper from the worshipping community, and also separate them from the real and sacred presence of God.

Digital hymnbooks may make commercial sense to publishers, but in my book, they don’t understand that the true components of worship require human involvement, as well as the Divine.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, we are constantly barraged with new innovations and advanced technologies that are overtaking our lives. We thank You for those inventions that make life better for everyone. Keep us from embracing too much technology that potentially may isolate us from the community of faith and separate us from You. In Your Holy Name, we pray. Amen.

John Stuart, Scottish pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee

3 comments:

Adam Copeland said...

I agree that the hymn tech venture might not be the best business move--I don't see many churches in the UK shelling out 80 pounds for the service--but it's probably not all bad either.

First, it's mainly a publicity stunt as all but one or two features of the tech hymnal already accompany mainline hymnals (e.g. ELCA 2007 hymnal in US).

Second, certainly playing an electronic music track to lead congregational song rather than live organ is problematical, but this is only one feature--and again, not a new one.

One Scottish phrase I've picked up here is, "Resist all improvements." The tech hymnal is mostly hype, but it may well help spread the gospel through the tried and tested hymns of the faith.

Finally, I don't see how singing from a computer screen, projection screen, or iPod screen is any less relational than singing from a hymnal. God's people printed the hymnal, just as God's people manufactured that iPod. Let's not alienate the faithful who happen to be more tech-interested than some.

-A Wee Blether

Stushie said...

I guess I am writing like a Luddite, Adam. I just feel as though we're becoming so individually isolated from one antoher and that this provides another opportunity to disassociate from one another in worship.

How's the weather in Scotland and are you still enjoying the Presbytery of Ayr? I ministered in Maybole and Dunure for over nine years.

Adam Copeland said...

I definitely agree that worship should increase our relationship with God and one another rather than individualize (is that a word?) our faith.

Um, the weather in Scotland. People tell me it's a particularly wet winter. Considering it rains every single day, I believe them. I'm giving a toast at a Burns Supper tonight that you might enjoy. I'll post it on my blog in the next few days. A Wee Blether