Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Christian Chameleons, Oh My!

Chameleons fascinate me. I am amazed by their ability to change their colors in order to blend into the background and remain hidden from both their enemies and prey. I think God must have had a lot of fun when He was making chameleons, and I bet you that they were the last animals to get off from Noah’s Ark because they couldn’t find them!

Podcast version here

They are ugly looking creatures, but they have a remarkable talent. I’ve only seen them at the zoo or on wildlife programs, but I would love to hold one in my hands to see if it would change color and match my clothes.

Verse of the Day: 1 Corinthians 9: 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.


When Paul writes about being all things to all men, I picture him as being a Christian chameleon, who could blend into every level of society. His ministry must have been wonderful to experience because he saw everyone as a child of God in need of salvation. In the Book of Acts, we come across many situations where Paul addresses the poor and the powerful, the weak and the strong, the redundant and the rich. He knows within himself that Christ’s message is for everyone, and not just a select few.

I think that the challenge for us as Christians today is to become spiritual chameleons. We have to seize every opportunity to convey Christ’s message, and relate it to the everyday lives of the people we know. I believe that there is nothing worse than a private, personal Christianity which feeds upon itself and never shares the good news. Too many people use their faith to isolate themselves from the world, instead of taking their beliefs into the marketplace.

When we read the Gospels and Paul’s letters, we realize that Christianity is God’s gift to the world. Our gift to Him occurs when we share Christ with others around us. Today, wherever we go, whatever we do, and whosever we meet, let’s try to be Christian chameleons, blending into all levels of society, bringing Christ’s good news and sharing His joy.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, You want us to be messengers of Your word and conveyors of Your truth. Help us today to recognize the opportunities You give us for faith sharing, and to fully take them. Give us the ability to blend into every encounter Your love, Your ways, and Your grace. In Your Holy Name, we pray. Amen.

No comments: