Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Does Anyone Remember "The Whirlybirds?"

I love helicopters. Ever since the days of the “Whirlybirds” television series way back in the early sixties, I have been fascinated with this type of aircraft. I used to spend hours pouring over old black and white photographs of helicopters, learning names like Sikorsky and Chinook and voicing them as if they were sacred incantations. Even today, whenever I hear the rumbling of the rotary blades in the sky, I have to stop what I’m doing and look up. Evelyn thinks I’m crazy, especially when I unexpectedly run out of the house just to look at them. One day, I’ll muster enough courage to go up in a helicopter and enjoy the scenery below.

However, what seems marvelous to me about helicopters isn’t shared by the rest of my family. In fact, when I’m busy watching helicopters traverse across the sky, people around me don’t bother to look. After all, it’s just a helicopter – what’s so special about that? Fifty years ago, they were not common where I came from, but these days we see Army, Rescue, Police, TV and Radio helicopters all over the place, so what’s the big deal? I guess for me, it’s about reliving the wonder of childhood and a boyish fascination with Whirlybirds. It lets me know that the child within me is still there.

Verse of the Day

Zechariah 8:6 This is what the LORD Almighty says: "It may seem marvelous to the remnant of this people at that time, but will it seem marvelous to me?" declares the LORD Almighty.

When Zechariah speaks about the wonders that God will perform by returning His people to Jerusalem, it will seem incredible to the Jews, but not to God. The people will be astounded and amazed that God still cares for them, but to God it will be His usual way of fulfilling His promises. The exiled Jews will declare their deliverance as a miracle; the Lord will see it as keeping His word.

The lesson that we can all learn from this is that God’s Word remains true throughout the ages. He still performs marvelous deeds and miraculous works in the world, which are extraordinary to us but just normal to Him. God doesn’t see Himself as a performer of miracles; He identifies Himself as a keeper of His Word. If we honestly try to live our lives in godly way, then we don’t have to be powerful or mighty, dynamic and energetic. All that we have to do to be godly is to keep our word.

Prayer: Father God, throughout the centuries You have remained true to Your word. You have sustained our planet and this universe simply by the power of Your will. We live because You allow us time. We exist because You care for Your creation. These things are marvelous in our eyes, but simple, normal acts of love in Yours. We bless and praise You, Almighty God. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

No comments: