Thursday, June 07, 2007

Willie

Scottish audio version here

Romans 9:23 What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory (NIV)

I had a friend in High School who was called Willie. He was a good guy, who never caused any trouble nor brought any harm to anyone. We used to meet every morning on our way to school and as we walked the mile long distance, we would talk about football, television, and, sometimes, girls.

Willie was fascinated with machines. He wasn’t very academic, but in woodwork and metalwork classes, he outshone the rest of us. I liked him and enjoyed his company, and looked forward to walking to and back from school each day.

Well, one morning Willie didn’t appear and I just presumed he was sick. It was influenza season, so I just naturally supposed that Willie was back home in bed, suffering from the ravages and discomfort of the flu. But when I reached the school yard, I could tell that things were wrong. One of my other friends came up to me and said, “Did you hear about Willie? He got arrested for making a bomb. He tried to blow up the Catholic chapel!”

I was struck dumb with disbelief. My quiet friend had been a secret terrorist and I never suspected anything.

The incident was all over the news that night and in the front page of the newspaper the next day. Willie was taken away to a special detention center, where he remained for several years. I wanted to go and see him, but my parents wouldn’t allow me. They didn’t want me to be tarnished with Willie’s poor choices.

Years later, I met Willie at our local community center. He had changed, but our friendship was still evident. He smiled at me quietly and we shared some stories. We never talked about the bomb incident or his jail time. He just wanted to put all of that in the past. He had been a model prisoner and the authorities released him early. He was now working in the community center, helping troubled kids avoid the pitfalls of anger and extremism. He was at peace with himself and the world. He was a given a second chance to redeem himself and he took it.

The mercy of God has the quality of wiping out our past mistakes and granting us the opportunity to begin again. All of us are selfish and sinful; we all fall short of God’s expectations. But instead of making us the objects of His wrath and punishment, He gives us Jesus, His Holy Son, as the One who can forgive our misdeeds and restore us to God’s unending love.

Isn’t that why we call Jesus “Savior?” Isn’t that we address Him as “Lord?”

Prayer: Lord Jesus, today we remember those in prison who regret their past mistakes and crimes. We pray that You will surround them with good people, compassionate pastors, and merciful authorities. May those who choose to change their lives be given opportunities to redeem the damage they have caused and return to our communities as helpful citizens. And may we receive them gladly and uncritically back into our midst. In Your Holy Name, we pray. Amen.

No comments: