Saturday, October 24, 2009

A Call to Stop Using the 'H' Word




I think that its time for people on either side of the gay debate to stop using the “H” word. It’s very easy for some people to intolerantly call other ‘homophobes’ as a means to diminish their views, make them feel guilty, and silence their opinions.

It’s used in the same intolerant and bigoted way that the ‘n’ word was expressed to subdue a whole race of people, to make them feel inferior, and to silence their protests.

‘Homophobe’ is used to destroy dialogue and people in just the same way that ‘fag’ and ‘queer’ have been expressed to label people with different lifestyles and ideas. Those words should also be eliminated in the interests of having a constructive dialogue.

I have been called a ‘Homophobe’ because I am not convinced about the ordination of actively gay people. I struggle with that issue on theological and biblical grounds, and not because I fear homosexuals. In fact, I very dearly love my younger brother and also one of my nephews in Scotland. Both of them are gay.

I have also sat, prayed, and held hands with gay men who were dying of HIV-AIDS.

I have annually supported WORLD AIDS DAY each year for many years and have been deeply moved by testimonies of gay Christian people.

I have done all this and yet when I express my struggle over gay ordination, I am labeled, quite unfairly and bigotedly, as a homophobe.

If we are going to get anywhere in this dialogue, then we all need to stop using the ‘H’ word.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee.


3 comments:

PeaceWorks said...

Even more broadly than the specific issue of the "H" word, I'd urge that in order to engage in dialogue we must resist all tendencies to compartmentalize or trivialize or stereotype those whose views are different from our own. To me, the issue of how we Christians approach disagreement with one another is deeply connected with the issue of how we relate to the "other" -- how we respond to the stranger, the outcast, the dispossessed. It seems, somehow, tied up with compassion and altruism and the question, "who is my neighbor"? When we have love and compassion for the "other," we are then able to see them more in the way that God sees them, and also see ourselves and our own separation from God in that same context. We perhaps become not only more compassionate toward them, but also we are able to engage in a more authentic dialogue based on hopes and fears and ideals, in language that is not negative and judgmental. When we approach each other in love, then the need for defensiveness, posturing, and counterblows may perhaps be reduced, so that a more truthful understanding and deeper relationship may be reached, even if this does not always result in agreement. Peace!

Mark Smith said...

Agreed.

I'd also drop the concept of "inner homophobe" - the idea that each of us in the majority MUST have at least a little bit of racism or homophobia no matter how hard we work for a given minority.

I had been the PLGC Presbynet Coordinator until the mid-90's, and left because I was getting called homophobic. The folks who did it are still in leadership positions.

At the same time, I think that those who are against homosexuality need to admit that they are not God, and therefore may not have a perfect view of the correct interpretation of the relevant scriptures. Many have been driven out of the church by being labeled as sinners (though we are ALL sinners) for their own personal behavior. It's time to drop the "must" statements and replace them with "I believe" statements.

And let's face it - some of the "compassion" directed at "sinners" like gays is really just self-righteousness and "holier than thou" attitude. Not all (and not you, Stushie), but some.

Unknown said...

The same is true when there is a disagreement with someone is of another race and you are labeled racist (or with another gender). With as many problems as we have I would think that we would be trying to building bridges rather than fences and forget the differences. If we concentrate on how we are alike rather than how we are different many of the problems would solve themselves. With God’s help