Thursday, February 21, 2008

Daily Devotions: The Sheriff

Sheriff McEwen was a faithful supporter of the church and a merciful dispenser of justice. I got to know him when he and his family moved from Edinburgh, Scotland’s capital city, to the countryside of Ayr. He regularly attended the church in Maybole and I was impressed by his personal faith and knowledge of scripture.

Bible Verse of the Day
Acts 10:42 He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that He is the One whom God appointed as judge of the living and the dead.


He grew up in the Apostolic Church, which was a bible centered and prophecy orientated movement that lasted about a hundred years in Britain. I think there are a few remaining churches in the United Kingdom, but most of the ones in Scotland have all closed.

When Sheriff McEwen moved from Maybole to a new house in Troon, he asked me to perform a special service. The Apostolic Church had a set list of prayers, scripture readings, and blessings for a new house. He wanted me to come by and follow the prescribed formula. I was delighted to do so and made the appropriate prayers at the thresholds of each room and at the entrances to the house. The Sheriff and his family followed me around the home and we recited some prayers together. It was a unique ceremony and a sacred time. I felt the goodness of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit amongst us.

Before I left for America, Sheriff McEwen gave me an old book of Apostolic prayers from his church. It had been handed down from person to person for over 80 years. Inside the book’s cover are the names of those who owned it before. I am the fifth person to be given that honor. I still have it in my study at home and use it occasionally for inspiration and meditation. I mainly cherish it because of Sheriff McEwen. He was a man of discreet character, fair judgment, and sincere faith.

Whenever I think about Christ being the Judge of the earth, I know that He will be righteous and merciful, absolute and full of grace. He will fully uphold God’s laws and compassionately dispense His grace. We need not fear His judgment nor be afraid of His power. If we have placed our souls into His hands and surrendered our hearts to His love, then He will embrace and forgive us, redeem and restore us to God’s Holy Kingdom and Everlasting Delight.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, You have invited us to become Your own followers, servants, and disciples. We can freely choose or reject Your ways. Help us, this day, to place our lives into Your care and to dedicate our time, talents, and resources to Your Ministry and God’s Kingdom. In Your Holy Name, we pray. Amen.

No comments: