Thursday, January 16, 2014

Short Devotion: Keeping It Together - Colossians 1:17

Colossians 1:17          He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.

As a boy, I used to love making model aircraft. Most of my allowance was spent on buying small kits of plastic jets or World War 2 aircraft. Sometimes I even purchased model vintage cars, but those were usually very difficult to put together.

Gluing was always a problem, too, because I got glue all over my fingers and sometimes messed up the plastic parts by using too much adhesive. Too little glue meant that the kit would not stick together and gaps were seen all over the model. If I used too much glue, then the aircraft or car became sticky and my fingerprints were all over it. However, most of the time I persevered and felt proud of what I had accomplished when the model was finished.

Years later, I became fascinated with World War 1 biplanes and made many models of vintage aircraft as an adult. I still have them in box somewhere in the attic. If I’m ever blessed with grandchildren one day, I’ll probably bring them down to show and play with them.

I like what Paul has to say about Christ in this first chapter of Colossians. Jesus is the One in whom all things in creation hold together. I like the idea that Christ brings order to chaos and that through Him all of creation is sustained. It makes me feel that although life can be unsettling and confusing at times, Jesus is still here maintaining God’s goodness in the world and throughout the entire universe. That’s the Jesus that I love; that’s the Christ that I cheerfully serve: the Lord of all Creation Who keeps it together.

Questions for personal reflection

Are there current events in my life where I feel I have no control? Am I willing to allow Jesus to keep things together for me?

Prayer:            Lord Jesus, every day is a wonderful gift, and every moment of our lives are spent under Your watchful care. Remind us that no matter what happens or what we experience today, You are still in control of our ultimate destiny, and that through You all things hold together. In Your Holy Name, we humbly pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment or ask a questions about today’s message, please send John an email to traqair@aol.com.


Today’s image is one of John’s latest winter drawings called “Snow Mates.” If you would like to view a larger version, please click on the following link: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3762/11891190784_39ee9cf9cf_b.jpg

No comments: