Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Short devotion: All I Ever Need - Philippians 4:19

Today’s readings are 1 Samuel 3:11-21 and Philippians 4:10-23

Philippians 4:19         And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

I love this verse. It speaks to my heart in so many different ways. Throughout my life, God has always provided for my needs, even when I was growing up in poverty. I like these words because there’s a beautiful reassuring promise behind them that comes from God. He is the Great Provider of all our blessings; He is still the Jehovah Jireh (from Genesis 22:14) who gives of Himself time after time, generation after generation, and person after person.

Because I believe in this promise, I know that whatever I am faced with today, God will look after everything I need. If I get too preoccupied with the things that I selfishly desire, then I will probably stray from His path. However, if I live by His promised word then I will find contentment with what I already have. To me, the secret to happiness is in accepting what God gives, instead of craving and clamoring for what I may selfishly want.

Perhaps you are seeking to be happy in all the wrong places or with all the wrong things. Maybe envy and entitlement sour your ability to be content. As the old hymn states, perhaps it’s time to ‘count your blessings’ rather than list your wants. After all, when the scriptures tell us that ‘God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus,’ what more could we ever ask for?

Questions for personal reflection

What do I truly need in my life? How can God enable me to experience it?

Prayer:            Lord Jesus, You came into the world to give us the one thing that we need in all of our lives: salvation. Our time on Earth is fleeting, but our existence through You can be made everlasting, so there is nothing in this world that ever be important beyond our deaths. Show us how to be happy with our needs being met by God, instead grumbling over what we do not have. In Your Holy Name, we happily pray. Amen.

Today’s image is one of John’s latest winter drawings called “Snowfall at Cades Cove.” If you would like to view a larger version, please click on the following link: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3673/11845624695_bf354f217a_b.jpg


No comments: