Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Gospel devotion: Sharing Good News - Romans 15:23-24

Romans 15:23-24       But now that there is no more place for me to work in these regions, and since I have been longing for many years to see you, I plan to do so when I go to Spain. I hope to visit you while passing through and to have you assist me on my journey there, after I have enjoyed your company for a while.

It was always Paul’s intention to take the Gospel from one end of the Mediterranean to the other, from the shores of Palestine to the Rock of Gibraltar. He had a vision of preaching to almost the whole Roman Empire, which would have been a mammoth task to undertake. However, despite having such a grand scale vision, his efforts to reach Spain would be halted by his arrest in Jerusalem and subsequent fatal trial at Rome. He would never fulfill his ambition, but his work would carry on to all sides of the Mediterranean and beyond through those who heard his message and read his letters.

When I first became a pastor in Scotland, all I wanted to do was serve a parish and help all sorts of people come to Christ. I never dreamed of coming to the States to be part of a different kind of ministry, which has now given me the ability to communicate to Christians around the globe. Folks in the church at Erin, Knoxville, Tennessee, as well as others in Scotland and across the world, get to read these devotional messages. With the use of email, Facebook and even Twitter, I can reach out to others from Christ all over the world at any time. It’s humbling to realize this and when I read the list of countries and cities where people read my devotionals, it really is staggering.

It makes me wonder how much Paul would have used modern technology to reach people for Christ all over the Earth. He endured hardships and suffering, beatings and imprisonment for the spreading of the Gospel. He would have loved this new technology and would have put it to wonderful use in order to share Christ’s message across the nations.

Thank you for reading these devotions and for sometimes sharing them with your family and friends. Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to read the scriptures, my thoughts, and the devotional prayer. May God bless you on your journey of faith this day and may He continue to grant you visions for bigger and better things for your life, your church, and Christ’s ministry.

Questions for personal reflection

How can I use the technology I own to spread the Gospel? Who can I share Christ’s message with today?

Prayer:            Lord Jesus, thank You for the spreading of the Gospel throughout the world and for the many new ways we can share Your words with others today. Grant us opportunities to share our beliefs at the right time, with the right words, and to those who need it most. In Your Holy Name, we pray. Amen.


Today’s image is one of John’s latest drawings called “Window Lamp.” It features an old kerosene lamp lit in a window at dusk. If you would like to view a larger version, please click on the following link: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3831/9622394834_c41fc6f281_b.jpg


No comments: