Thursday, January 10, 2013

New Beginning Devotion: Save Me, Shepherd - John 10:11


John 10:11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.” 

I am a sinful creature and have gone astray at times. I meander through life and muddle through each day. Sometimes I accomplish much; at other times, I waste the opportunities that God has given me. The good that I want to do is sometimes never fulfilled; the badness that I want to avoid plagues and overcomes me. I am a sinner and a lost sheep. I need a Savior and a Shepherd.

Thankfully, Christ is both. He guides me each day and saves me from the worst of my choices. He forgives my failings and sets me on the right path. He is always there, before me and behind me, beneath me and above me. He watches my daily walk and corrects my foolish choices. He is the Savior of my soul and the Shepherd of my life. Without Jesus, I would be lost to God forever; with Him, I find my way back to God and can abide in His everlasting presence.

Perhaps you are meandering through life and in a muddle right now. Maybe your New Year resolutions have fallen by the wayside or your hopes have been quickly dashed. Perhaps you feel like giving up because you have nothing left to give. Please don’t despair. In our worst of times, Christ becomes the best of our choices. In our moments of sorrow and fear, He becomes the center of our strength and faith. He gives every part of Himself, so that we may experience every part of life with God. With Jesus, we are not alone. In Him, we are kept safe forever.

Questions for personal reflection

Have I lost my way? How can Jesus help me find my way back to God?

Prayer:            Lord Jesus, being human is never easy. There are so many decisions to be made and daily distractions to encounter, that we sometimes end up losing our way, our meaning, and even our faith. Help us to turn to You for direction; open our hearts and minds to Your Guidance. Show us the Way, become our Truth, and let us experience the Life. In Your Holy Name, we faithfully pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment on today’s message, please send him an email to traqair@aol.com.

Today’s image is one of John’s latest Psalms Project drawings. It features a verse from Psalm 128, interpreted as a Christ centered prophecy. If you would like to view a larger version of the drawing, please visit the following link: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8052/8347771327_83aef164e7_b.jpg

No comments: