Tuesday, January 05, 2010

New Year Devotions: Holy Harmony - 2 Corinthians 6 v 15


2 Corinthians 6:15 What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?

I’m struggling right now with my thoughts about other religions. I know that religion has been the source of major wars and disharmony throughout the world for thousands of years. I understand the need to get along and be good neighbors. I yearn for world peace, coexistence, and harmony, but I’m also a Christian first and foremost, so the question that I’m asking myself is this: did Jesus preach a message of peace at all costs or did He actually begin the Last Battle between humankind and God, which will end up with His Victory over all?

Decades ago, in my youthful arrogance, everything seemed to be perfectly clear: it was Christ’s way with everything or no way at all. Throughout the years, the world has changed and so have I. My sinfulness over the years has made me realize how much I depend upon Christ’s grace, but is that grace limited to those who believe, or is it freely given to all religious and non-religious people?

I keep returning to the focused faith of the First Christians. They were willing to die for Christ. Were they being truly faithful or just fanatical? Were their beliefs foundational and immovable? Did they die because they were stubborn and anti-establishment, or were they martyred because they couldn’t and wouldn’t compromise Christ?

In my heart, I know the answer: there is no harmony between belief and unbelief. Christ is the only way to salvation.

Prayer:                        Lord Jesus, sometimes we feel lost and disconnected to God. We want the world to be a beautiful, loving, and peaceful place. We want our planet to be totally united and focused on the welfare of humanity. But sometimes there is no peace and there will be no harmony because we cannot compromise our Christian beliefs. Help us to do what we can for the common good of our brothers and sisters in the world, but never at the cost of losing our faith in You. In Your Holy Name, we pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment on today’s message, please send him an email to pastor@erinpresbyterian.org.

Today’s picture is taken from John’s Scottish Art series. It depicts Iona Abbey in Scotland at night, just after the Fall harvest. You can find a larger image of it at the following link: Scottish Art Series


No comments: