Tuesday, November 03, 2009

4 Minute Daily Devotions: The King's Business


Isaiah 9:6        For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

A friend of mine was writing on the web the other day that it’s only just more than fifty days to Christmas. My first reaction was: WOW! Where did the rest of the year go? I’ve been extremely busy all 2009 and here I am heading into the ‘busiest time for the church.’ I don’t feel like I’m ready for it. I’m wondering if the Lord will slip in another month before Thanksgiving, Advent, and Christmas, just to let me catch my breath.

And then I read this beautiful verse from Isaiah again and calmly exhale. Christmas isn’t about what we do, or what the church does; it’s all about what God has done and will do again. The busy-ness of the holiday season is all about the King’s business.

If we’re under pressure and stressed out, God provides a Wonderful Counselor.

If we’re weak or feeling weary, we are given a Mighty God.

If we’re bewildered or fearful, we are guided by our Everlasting Father.

If we’re troubled or unsettled, in Christ we have the Prince of Peace.

With all of these marvelous qualities and attributes of God, I am really looking forward to spending Christmas with Christ.

Prayer:                        Lord Jesus, You are all that we need, especially at this time of year. Prepare our hearts and minds to receive You gladly, cheerfully, and faithfully in our churches, our homes, and our hearts. In Your Wonderful Name, we pray. Amen.


John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment on today’s message, please send him an email to pastor@erinpresbyterian.org.

No comments: