Monday, October 12, 2009

Daily Devotions: Unopened Door


Revelation 3:20                 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

Yesterday, I was teaching one of our young people about sin and salvation during his confirmation class. I made the point that we all sin and separate ourselves from God, so we need Christ as our Savior to heal the breach. I also reminded him that Christ can do nothing for us until we ask Him to be our Savior. We are not restored to God’s Kingdom until we invite Christ into our hearts and lives.

It’s just like the image from this verse in Revelation. Christ is knocking at the door from the outside. Only when the door is opened, can He enter in. Without that personal invitation, all that Jesus can do is wait outside and knock.

So, the question for all of us is this: have we invited Christ into our hearts, or is He still waiting outside?

Prayer:                 Lord Jesus, help us to open the door of our hearts and invite Your Holy Spirit to mingle with ours. In Your Sacred Name, we pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment on today’s message, please send him an email to pastor@erinpresbyterian.org.

No comments: