Friday, May 25, 2007

Sand Lines

Scottish accent audio version here

Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you. (NIV)

The gloves are coming off. I’ve about had it with those who are leading the church astray. In recent weeks, a Presbyterian pastor in another part of Tennessee had declared on Easter to his congregation that Jesus’ body decayed just like everyone else who died in the past. Now he is promoting Pluralism Sunday this Sunday, which is the Day of Pentecost, proclaiming that the Holy Spirit’s gift of languages was to let people of other religions and cultures know that their ways, their faith, and their beliefs were alright with God.

We’ve a word for that kind of accommodating, universalist preacher in Scotland – a numpty. Pentecost was the day when the Holy Spirit inspired the apostles to declare the Gospel in different languages. The message was the same, only the languages were different. For too long, we allowed universalists to bend, twist, and malign the truth that Christ presented. If they want to preach and teach that God has changed His mind and no longer validates His Son’s ministry, mission, death and resurrection, then they can go and do it elsewhere. A line of faith has been drawn in the sand, so this pandering to the world’s insistence of what Christianity should be must come to a halt.

To me, when Jesus says “I am the Truth, the Way and the Life,” He really means it. There’s no room for negotiation, compromise or accommodation. If He had said, “I am a way, a truth, and a life,” things might have been different, but the scriptures included “the” – the definite article – to show us how definite He was. Those who cannot accept this, cannot accept Him. And those who cannot accept Him, cannot be accepted by Him.

So, I’m drawing a line in the sand and I’m not retreating any further. This is far enough, not fair enough. It’s time to fight the good fight and win people back to Christ. It’s time to boldly go and preach the Gospel. There is no other way, no other truth, and no other life. There is no ‘my way’ on the King’s Highway! It’s either His way or dismay.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, for too long we have been spiritually asleep and have let go of priceless articles of faith and precious words of salvation. Awaken us from our slumber and restore us to Your work. Combat our poor witness and overcome our stubborn pride. Teach us to be soldiers, as well as servants, for Your Church and Kingdom. In Your Holy Name, we earnestly pray. Amen.

3 comments:

Stan said...

I was thinking this morning, "I wonder what a Pastor Shuck or the like would do if I showed up, started attending his church, and started publicly, repeatedly, and loudly proclaiming the truth of the Substitutionary Atonement, the Resurrection of Christ, the fact that His is the only name under heaven by which we must be saved, and that they can find it all in their Bibles and trust it because it's God's Word? Do you suppose a pastor like that would offer me a pluralistic hand of greeting and allow me to continue in his church without abatement? Or would he ask me to do it elsewhere?

I think I know the answer.

John Shuck said...

Stushie,

Before you take the gloves off, how about we get to know each other? Knoxville is not that far from Johnson City. Let's set a day in the next couple of weeks to meet somewhere in the middle or I can even take a trip to Knoxville. It is good to get out now and then. I will buy you lunch? Let me know. My e-mail is on my profile.

Peace,
john

Stushie said...

Let me think and pray about this, John. I honestly don't think that we have much in common and, because of your pluralism stance amongst other things, I personally couldn't call you a colleague in Christ's ministry. If I feel it is the right thing to have lunch or talk, I will recontact you. In the meantime, I don't think it would be a good idea.