Monday, February 05, 2018

Church devotion - Selfie Prayers - 1 Corinthians 13:12

1 Corinthians 13:12 For now, we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. (NIV)

            I like to look at Facebook several times a day. Because my family is so far away in Scotland, it gives me the opportunity to see what they’re doing and to comment on their exploits. It keeps me in touch with them in a remarkable way that I could not have done ten years ago. I laugh with them when they’re having a good time; I sympathize with them when they’re having bad days, and I pray for them when they’re going through tough times.

            Sometimes they post selfies which make laugh and smile; at other times, I think “Oh no, not another selfie,” especially from my nieces and nephews. I guess, as younger people, they’re just trying to find their way in the world and discover who they are, but there are days when what I call ‘selfie-overload’ takes over my Facebook Newsfeed. I feel as though they are too self-preoccupied and wish that they would limit the number of photos they take, upload, and post.

            And then, I find myself praying to God more than several times a day, expressing my own cares and concerns, my worries and expectations, focusing entirely on me instead of loving and adoring God for His grace, forbearance, and mercy. It makes me wonder if God ever rolls His eyes at me and says, “Not another self-centered prayer from John. He’s already talked to me about this so many times today!”

            Usually, after this revelation, I end up thanking God for His patience and appreciate how blessed we all are to be children of His grace. Our prayers don’t have to be about us, in fact, they should be more about God and the beautiful gift of salvation which He has promised through His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Perhaps today, we will all make more time to do this, in order to praise God and put Him at the center of our lives.

Point to ponder

What am I most thankful for today? Have I gratefully prayed to God about this?

Prayer: Lord Jesus, You know us completely and see how vain we all are. Forgive us for being self-centered. Help us to turn our focus to You and our Heavenly Father. Grant us opportunities to praise and worship You today. In Your Holy Name, we pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to give some feedback about today’s message, send him an email to Traqair@aol.com.


Today’s image is one of John’s Lent drawings called ‘Lenten Prayer.’ If you would like to view a larger version, please click this link: Prayer.

No comments: