Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Book Review: A Crazy, Holy Grace - Frederick Beuchner

Frederick Beuchner: A Crazy, Holy Grace

Memories are made for this…

                I had never read any of Beuchner’s books before this one, but a number of my pastor colleagues have been referring to his works for years. This book intrigued me because of its title – A Crazy, Holy Grace. Throughout my pastoral ministry, I have seen this in action, especially among folks who have had tragic childhoods or heart-rending grief. Beuchner’s book is an ideal resource for people who are struggling with the pain of a great loss, as well as their faith in God.

               Beuchner tackles grief from the basis of his own heartbreaking family experiences. He expresses the reality of his painful burdens and focuses in on the purpose of memory in the healing process. He converses casually with the reader and doesn’t come across as holier-than-thou. The chapter which touched me most was the one called ‘The Magic of Memory,’ where he writes an imaginary conversation with his deceased grandmother. It’s a very touching moment and one that gets to the very heart of dealing with the hurt of loss.


                The book would make a great small group study or to help a grief therapy group find coping mechanisms. Anyone who loves C. S. Lewis books will be delighted with excellent work of Beuchner. And now that I have read this first one, I look forward to reading more of his writing.


No comments: