Monday, August 14, 2017

Looking for Jesus - John 6:24

John 6:24 Once the crowd realized that neither Jesus nor his disciples were there, they got into the boats and went to Capernaum in search of Jesus. (NIV)

            Quite recently, I was seeking an old recording of a conversation that some friends of mine had at a radio station several years ago. One of them had just died and I was wanting to hear his voice again, as well as the remarkable story of his life. I hunted high and low in my home, my study, my garage, and church office, but sadly I didn’t come across the CD. I know that it is somewhere safe and I’ll probably discover it when I’m looking for something else. Until then, I’ll just have to rely on the memories that I have of my friend and the good times that we shared.

            At the end of today’s Gospel passage (John 6:22-24), the people are looking for Jesus, but He is nowhere to be found. The previous day, He had miraculously fed 5000 people, which made the crowd want to make Him their king. When they discovered that Jesus had gone, they set out on their boats and sailed up to Capernaum where He usually resided. I’d like to think that they were looking for Christ for all of the right reasons, but I suspect that human nature being what it is, they were mostly looking for more miraculous food.

            This made me reflect on my own search for Jesus. Have I been seeking Him for all of the right reasons, or do I have some selfish desires that I want Him to fulfill? Am I looking to Christ to straighten out my problems, overcome my difficulties, and fix my issues, or I am I just humbly seeking to serve Him because He is my Lord and King? I hope and pray that it is more to do with the latter.

Point to ponder

Am I looking for Jesus to do something in my life or am I seeking to do something for Him?

Prayer:  Lord Jesus, You are the Lord of our lives and the King of all Creation. We are supposed to be Your servants and faithful followers. Help us to seek Your will in all that we accomplish and experience today. In Your Holy Name, we humbly pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. You can read the church website at www.erinpresbyterian.org. You can also email John with your questions, feedback, and thoughts at Traqair@aol.com.


Today’s image is one of John’s latest drawings called ‘Jazz4Jesus.’ If you would like to view a larger version, please click this link: Jazz.

No comments: