Thursday, July 27, 2017

Into Your Hands - A Prayer for Today

Luke 23:46a Jesus called out with a loud voice, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.” (NIV)

Lord, do You have a moment?
I need to speak to You.
I’m worried about the world
And anxious about the future.
I don’t know where we’re headed
Or what’s going to happen.
There’s a lot of hatred
And it’s impacting my faith.
I’ve never known such turmoil,
So I’m concerned for the Church,
Society, and the World.

You see, Lord,
I think I am a Christian,
But I also see so much
Bitterness coming from other folks
Whose faith in You
Is meant to be the same as mine.
I don’t understand
Where this is coming from,
How it got here,
And where it will end up.
So I’m confused about my faith, Lord,
And need Your help to sort this out
In my heart, mind, and soul.

Lord, I only have
This moment called Life
And this space called Earth.
I want to do what’s right
And make this world
A better place
And not a bitter planet.
I want to spread Your love
And not shred other lives.
Lord, I want to be Christian,
A real one, not a religious one.
A true one, not a tormented one,
A faithful one, not a fake one.

Lord, thanks for giving me
This personal moment.
Into Your hands,
I commit my spirit,
My questions,
And my struggle.
Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. You can read the church website at www.erinpresbyterian.org. You can also contact John by email at Traqair@aol.com.


No comments: