Friday, April 28, 2017

Happy 428 Day - Mark 14:55

Mark 14:55 The chief priests and the whole Sanhedrin were looking for evidence against Jesus so that they could put him to death, but they did not find any. (NIV)

            As a teenager, I was very cynical about the Church and what Christianity stood for. I was determined to do my own thing and go my own way, so I had no need of any of the joy that Jesus was supposed to bring or the love that God had for my life. In fact, when one of my younger brothers brought in a Bible to the house with a ‘Jesus is Lord’ sticker on it, I mocked him in front of the family. As far as I was concerned, Jesus didn’t exist and anyone who thought differently was a complete idiot. Christ’s story was just a fantastic lie made up by religious fanatics who couldn’t cope with His death.

            A couple of years later, everything changed. Instead of being a stupid, drunken lout to my friends and family, I accepted Jesus into my life and decided to become a Christian. The evidence that I denied suddenly became an experience that I embraced. At the 428 Gospel Club in the heart of Glasgow, I surrendered myself to Jesus one Wednesday evening. My life has never been the same ever since that precious moment. And today, on 4/28, I fondly remember those friends that I made for life, including Evelyn my wife, and give thanks to God for leading me to Christ, even though I had followed a reckless path of alcoholism which could have destroyed my life.

            Today, I would encourage everyone who is reading this message to embrace Jesus in their hearts and lives. He can change everything and set you on a new path of spiritual discovery. “Today,” as the preachers used to say at the 428 Gospel Club, “can be the beginning of the rest of your eternal life.” All you have to do is to let Jesus embrace you, once and for all.

Point to ponder

Am I weary of trying to be strong? Am I willing to let Jesus become my strength?

Prayer:  Lord Jesus, You love us completely, no matter who we are or what we have done. Enable us to embrace Your reality in our lives and lead us from this day forth. In Your Holy Name, we humbly pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. You can view the church website at this link: www.erinpresbyterian.org.


Today’s image is another of John’s latest Pentecost drawings called ‘Spirit 2017.’ If you would like to view a larger version, please click this link: Spirit.

No comments: