Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Heart of God - 1 John 3:1

1 John 3:1        See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know Him. (NIV)

            Like most of us, there are times and days when I rely on God’s love more than anything else. When I become weary or anxious, I need God’s assurance to pull me through those moments. When I feel depressed or confused, I lean on God’s understanding to help me find His light. And when I’m angry with myself or out of sorts with the rest of the world, I greatly require God’s peace to abide in my heart and mind.

            In today’s Bible verse, the apostle John tells us that we are God’s children. What a wonderful blessing! God calls us His children not because we’re perfect or saintly, but because Jesus has claimed that title for us. He has taken away the consequences of our sin and restored us to God’s delight and pleasure. Christ has become our elder Brother, who is willing to guide and bless us as His younger siblings, especially in our times of loss and grief, loneliness and isolation.

            I don’t know about you, but today I need God to be very close to me, to embrace and encourage me, and to hold and help me. Without God, life at times would be both unmanageable and unbearable. With Him beside me, I can stumble through the darkness and eventually come into Christ’s light.

            Wherever you are today and whatever you are going through, please know this: You are a child of God’s grace and love. You are not alone. His Spirit is with you and you are dear to God’s heart.

Questions for personal reflection

What am I feeling today? How can God help me?

Prayer:            Loving God, we thank You for Your Presence in our lives, especially when our minds are troubled and our feelings are unsettled. Allow us the gift of Your peace in our hearts and souls. Help us to know that we are loved by You, so that our spirits may be uplifted. In Christ’s Name, we make this heartfelt prayer. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to comment or ask questions about today’s message, please send him an email to Traqair@aol.com.

Today’s image is one of John’s psalms drawings. It’s based on a verse from Psalm 51. If you would like to view a larger version, please click this link: Psalm 51.

No comments: