Thursday, September 01, 2016

Church Devotion - Wee Small Hours - Hebrews 11:3

Hebrews 11:3  By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible. (NIV)

You can also listen to an audio podcast of this message at this link: Wee Small Hours

            Sometimes when I wake up in the wee small hours of the morning, I gaze at the stars from one of the upstairs windows in my home. I recently purchased a pair of binoculars which makes the whole experience amazing. The stars that I can see with my own eyes are few in number, but when I look at them with the binoculars, I see thousands of stars and galaxies. After quietly stargazing for a while, I then prayerfully whisper to God my thanks for the incredible sights I have seen in the night sky.

            I’ve always believed that God was the Creator of the Universe, as well as being the Sustainer of Life on our planet. I see His handiwork in the stars and also in the world around me. At times, I am overawed by the depth of beauty and creativity that God displays; but I am also grateful that He created me to experience the joy of His loving labor.

            Looking at the stars at night makes me feel quite small and insignificant, and yet at the same time, I feel assured that God is real and He enjoys me enjoying His creation. This feeling gives me a peace of mind and solace in my heart. It builds up my faith and quietly strengthens my relationship with God through the gifts of wonder, amazement, and joy.

            Today, you may feel isolated and vulnerable, alone and forgotten. Please know and embrace this: the God Who created the wonderful stars also brought you into being. You are important to Him and You will always be loved as a child of God.

Prayer:            Heavenly Creator, thank You for allowing us to experience the universe in so many wonderful and awe-inspiring ways. Thank You for loving us personally and individually, wholly and completely. In Your Son’s precious Name, we gratefully pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. Please feel free to send him an email to Traqair@aol.com about this message.


Today’s image is one of John’s nighttime drawings called “Moon Glow.” If you would like to view a larger version, please click this link: Moon Glow.

No comments: