Thursday, June 02, 2016

Morning Devotion: A New Day - Isaiah 45:6

Isaiah 45:6      From the rising of the sun to the place of its setting, people may know there is none besides me. I am the Lord, and there is no other.

            I’m usually awake before each sunrise, so I get to watch the sun’s red glow permeate slowly across the morning sky. It is a peaceful and sacred time which helps me get into the right frame of mind for my daily work. Soaking in a sunrise enables me to embrace the day ahead by allowing me some quiet time to collect my thoughts and plan out my working hours.

            Today’s chosen verse also reminds me that each day comes as a gift from God as another opportunity to praise and serve Him in all that I seek to accomplish. My life belongs to God, so whatever I do should reflect both His goodness to me and my glory of Him. I don’t always get it right, but when I do, I draw nearer to God and deepen my relationship with His Son Jesus Christ. Then, when sunset occurs at the end of the day and I rest my head upon my pillow, I can smile as I pray and thank God for all that I’ve experienced and completed.

            As we embrace this new day, let’s look for the opportunities that God gives us to share our faith with others through Christ’s compassion, care, and love. If we set out to do this, then the people around us may come to know of God as our Living Lord.

Prayer:            Lord God, thank You for the gift of another day. You know all that we seek to accomplish; You understand all that we need to do. Help and guide us to do whatever we can to accept, support, and encourage others, so that we may serve You effectively, positively, and lovingly. In Christ’s Holy Name, we pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. Please feel free to share this message. You can also contact him via email at Traqair@aol.com.


Today’s image is one of John’s Easter drawings called “Like a Rolling Stone.” If you would like to view a larger version, please click this link: Stone.

No comments: