Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Church Devotion: Flying High - Luke 3:4

Luke 3:4        As is written in the book of the words of Isaiah the prophet: "A voice of one calling in the desert, 'Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him. (NIV)

            This morning I had to heat my car to get rid of the frost and ice on the windows. I wasn't in a happy mood. My feet and hands were cold, and I was also in a rush to get to work. The delay was stressing me out, which is not a good start to anyone’s day. As I looked up at the moon in the frosty blue sky, I wished that I could have been somewhere else, anywhere further south, where scraping the frost from my car would not be an inconvenient problem.

            Suddenly, the sky beneath the moon was filled with what looked like sparkling stars. I could not believe what I was seeing. The sparkles were moving in one direction and were approaching my subdivision. Then I saw the large V-formation and realized it was a flock of birds, possibly ducks, heading north. The sun was reflected off their wings as they flew through the air, which caused the ‘sparkles of light’ at a distance.

            I marveled at the sight. Hundreds of birds filled the air. Separate V-formations were all over the sky, but all of them were headed north. Each V-formation had its own leader, who instinctively was preparing the way ahead for the birds behind it. I smiled as I watched them fly off into the distance and thanked God in my heart for such a magical moment. The frost on my car had melted and I felt much happier than I had before I saw the migrating flock of birds.

            Today’s Bible verse tells us about John the Baptist’s role in preparing the way for His people to receive the Messiah. He was leading them to the moment when Jesus would appear on the scene, who would then help all kinds of people spiritually migrate toward God. That special role of preparation and guidance now belongs to the Church of Christ. We, who are Christians, are primarily meant to share our faith and bring others to Jesus. We are to guide folks to Him, so that on our journey from birth to death, we can show them the truthful way to everlasting life.

Questions for reflection

Have I truly shared my Christian faith with other people? Do I actually care about other souls?

Prayer:          Lord Jesus, You are our ultimate destination and we are led toward You by Your words and ways. Help us to do whatever we can to encourage our loved ones and other folks to recognize You as the Lord of Life and the Giver of Grace. In Your Holy Name, we pray. Amen.

John Stuart is currently the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to make comments or ask questions about today’s message, please send him an email to Traqair@aol.com. John is always glad to receive feedback.


Today’s image is my latest Valentine drawing. It’s called “Love is All You Need.” If you would like to view a larger version, please click on the following link: Love.


No comments: