Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Daily devotion: Clowning Around - 1 Corinthians 4:10

1 Corinthians 4:10                 We are fools for Christ, but you are so wise in Christ! We are weak, but you are strong! You are honored, we are dishonored!

            Every year, during the months of December and January, the circus used to put on their winter performances in my hometown of Glasgow, Scotland. It was a great treat and although our family could not afford it every year, we usually went every two to three years. I was always astounded by the whole spectacle – the colors, the lights, the music, and the incredible acts. It was a wonderful experience and just thinking about it now, still brings a smile to my face.

            Like every other boy that I knew who visited the circus, I wanted to be a clown. I wanted to make people laugh by dressing up in silly clothes, putting on outrageous wigs, wearing a white made-up face with a red button nose that flashed. I remember thinking that if I could be a clown then my life would be complete and I would enjoy the sounds of laughter for the rest of my days.

            I did become a clown – I fooled around with alcohol and made the gutter my circus ring. You could see me stagger around downtown Glasgow on Friday and Saturday nights and watch my silly antics. I thought it was cool and a lot of fun, but strangely enough, no one was laughing. I was a drunken fool and a real messed up person. I was completely lost to myself, my family, even my community.

            And then God afflicted me and brought me home to Christ. He turned my wayward life around and let me become a preacher – a clown for Christ. He gave me a faith that would make me foolish in the eyes of the world, but wise in His Kingdom. Through it all I have learned this: God has a great sense of timing, purpose and, of course, humor!

Questions for personal reflection

When did I become a Christian? What did God do in my life to make it so?

Prayer:            Lord Jesus, we thank You for the opportunity to serve and worship You with our lives. Build up our hearts and spirits so that we may become wise in Your ways, even though the world sees us as fools of faith. In Your Holy Name, we happily pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to ask a question or make a comment about today’s message, please send him an email to traqair@aol.com.


Today’s image is one of my latest scarecrow drawings called “On Duty.” If you would like to view a larger version, please click the following link: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3679/9617408464_235ea9be19_b.jpg
Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies

No comments: