Friday, May 24, 2013

Memorial Day poem: Memorial by John Stuart


Memorial

Silently,
I will remember the host
Of men and women
Who paid the cost
For the Freedom I enjoy.

Respectfully,
I will remind
The next generations
Of the sacrifice
That previous generations
Gave to preserve our Liberty.

Tearfully,
I will recall those still living,
Whose hopes and dreams,
Lives and loves
Were completely altered
By unavoidable war
And selective service.

Proudly,
I will stand with them
And embrace the Stars and Stripes
In my heart and soul,
Feeling strongly connected
To its past, present, and future.

Thankfully,
I will honor those
Who selflessly gave of their youth,
And those who are still giving of their lives,
So that I and all others
May have a Freedom worth living,
A Hope worth advancing,
And a Life secured by Liberty.

(c) John Stuart 2013

No comments: