Thursday, October 30, 2008

4 Minute Devotions: Celestial Song

Last night, I watched a movie that dealt with separation issues in a beautiful way – through the gift of music. It was called “August Rush.”

Podcast version here

Genesis 1:4 God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness.

I watched a great movie last night and it has become one of my top ten. I had been meaning to watch it for a while because my daughters told me it was terrific. I’ve also used some clips from the movie in the Sunday School class that I teach each week. So, at 11.15 PM last night, I began to watch “August Rush.”

It’s really an updated version of Oliver Twist (“Oliver!” is also in my top ten). The plot is about a young boy called Evan, who grows up in an orphanage, who has some amazing hearing and musical skills. As he listens to the world around him, he can hear all sorts of music and rhythms. He also believes that his parents, who unknowingly abandoned him, can hear that music too. Evan thinks that if he can write and play the music he hears in his head and heart, he will be reunited with his parents.

The music in the movie is beautiful and most of it is set in New York. Evan’s adventure is as delightful as Oliver Twist’s in London Town. The whole story is a musical journey and the characters, who lead separate lives, are wonderfully drawn together. The crescendo of the movie builds until it reaches both a musical and dramatical climax that had me in tears. It’s a great family movie, and I would recommend it to anyone. The separation issues in “August Rush” are beautifully overcome.

When God separated the light from the darkness in the creation of the universe, I wonder if He did it musically, as well as dramatically. I wonder if all the angels, who watched the universe being born, sang gloriously as God spun the galaxies, stars, and planets together. I would love to have been there, watching God as a Master Craftsman building the physical structure of the cosmos. And as He wove our planet into being, I wonder if God was whistling, humming, or singing.

Today, as I look at the world around me, I’m going to try to listen as well. I want to be keyed into the voice of God and hear what He is saying through all the interaction of life that is buzzing around me. I want to feel that I am ready to hear what He says and no longer be separated from His universal song. I want to listen to God singing; I want to join in the cosmic chorus.

Prayer: Lord God, life is truly amazing and this planet is a wonderful world. Help us to listen to Your voice and realize that there is music in all that You do and accomplish. Allow us to accompany You in the celestial song of Creation. In Jesus’ Name, we pray. Amen.

No comments: