Wednesday, May 28, 2008

4 Minute Devotions: Gospel Musketeers

Alexandre Dumas' famous Musketeers have been a favorite of mine since I was a boy. Their motto "All for One, and One for All" is a great message for our churches today. Christ died for all, so therefore all should live for Him.

Podcast version here

I always wanted to be a musketeer. Alexandre Dumas’ story of D’Artagnan and the Three Musketeers has enthralled me since I was a boy. I think I first saw them fighting together in the 1939 movie, “The Man in the Iron Mask” which starred Warren William in the lead role. I was captivated by their sword fighting skills and camaraderie. It was an exciting swashbuckler from beginning to end and I knew that after it was over, I had to become a musketeer.

Ever since then, I think I’ve seen almost every movie about the Musketeers, even the Chinese version, as well as a French cartoon series. I just love their fight for justice and every time I hear those famous words, “One for All, and All for One,” I want to jump out of my seat and join them. It’s a wonderful moment which epitomizes everything that is noble, faithful, and true about friendship.

2 Corinthians 5:14 For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died.

I also feel this each time I read Paul’s message about Christ dying for all. He is the One who died for all of us; therefore all of us should live for Christ alone. It’s the same musketeer message and I sometimes wonder if Dumas came up with his idea through reading the same scripture.

This is what makes me want to be part of a church, too. I’m not a Christian just for myself. I want to belong to a fellowship of faith where friendship can be experienced in the worship, service, and communal devotion to God. It’s a beautiful feeling and when the benediction is spoken and shared, it’s as if the whole congregation is saying, “One for All, and All for One.”

Prayer: Lord Jesus, You died for all and we are so enthralled with Your sacrifice that we want to share Your message with other people. Help us to overcome our fears about being Your messengers; enable us instead to become Your musketeers of the Gospel, fearlessly defending Your words and faithfully serving Your Kingdom. In Your Holy Name, we pray. Amen.

No comments: